Friday, May 3, 2013

Bad Arguments


I don’t know if you picked up on it from my last post, but I happen to be a Young Earth Creationist. I have seen clear scientific explanations given for it. I had a class in college called Scientific Models of Origins, and it was all about the science of the Creationist world-view. It was rational, cogent, and looked at the same data Evolutionists look at and came to a different conclusion (which is perfectly acceptable in the scientific community). Finally, it agrees with Scripture.

Unfortunately, we are still surrounded by Creationists giving horrible arguments against Evolution, or just as frequently Evolutionists pointing to horrible arguments made by Creationists in the past. For example, I recently heard the argument against Evolution about, “If we evolved from chimps, why are there still chimps?” Horrible argument. Horrible premise. Completely ignores natural selection (which I happen to agree is happening).

Of course, in that same vein of research, I heard an Evolutionist say, “It looks like design, but it isn’t.” How does that make any sense? It looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but it isn’t really a duck. If it appears to be something, and you disagree with what that something shows, doesn’t mean you can just write it off as false.

Make rational arguments. Give up poorly executed arguments. Look into what you are saying before you say it. Stop rehashing arguments that have already been refuted.