Saturday, May 4, 2013

The World Is Right


When I use the word “World” in this context, it is in reference to the world of the flesh, non-believers. I like to watch and read views opposed to mine so that I can get an idea of the opposition I am up against; theology, science, history, and so on. Most recently I've been looking at Evolution and Atheism. I've looked at the arguments made by some of the celebrity faces of Atheism in particular. Namely Penn, from Penn and Teller, and Bill Maher who made a mockumentary titled “Religulous”. And I have to admit, from a purely rational, materialistic (as in the real world is all there is, not gaining of material wealth) worldview, they make absolute sense. They got it right. All religions are myth given to the masses to control them. There is no God, and if there is, He just doesn't care enough to get involved. Religious scriptures were written by backwards people in a backwards time. Science has proven the supernatural to be false, to not exist (think about that for a second). I hear and read these things and my mind screams, “Yes! That makes perfect sense.”

But then I hear this voice struggling to be heard over the tumult, “No, you know that to false. You know the Truth.” In my worldview, that is the Holy Spirit gently guiding me in Truth. In my worldview, the natural world is not the end all, be all, the world of the flesh is in direct opposition to the Creator. That part of me that still struggles with the flesh sees the rationale. Thankfully I have a Guide, directing my spirit to overwhelm the flesh.

If that Guide were to go silent, I would honestly have to agree with the atheists. If the Christian God isn't real, then no God is real. We are all a simple product of natural, biological processes. There is no overarching morality. There is no true right or wrong, only that which society and self-preservation impose upon us. I would have to be a pragmatic hedonist.

Oddly enough, my Scripture says exactly this. The world of the flesh (i.e. natural man) will see the world of the spirit as foolishness. They will mock the believers of God and worship the creature over the Creator. And this Scripture was written long, long before we had the great god of Science.

            “The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for
            they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they
            are spiritually discerned.” 1 Corinthians 2:14

It is often amusing for me to see how often that Scripture proves itself to be true in reference to the activities of human nature.